Power of being positive?
- July 31, 2018
- Posted by: MAYURI
- Category: Articles
Power of being positive?
We all have read thousands of interesting sayings under this head. Many are really inspiring too. But I have here a different take on this matter.
Positive behavior does not always lead to positive outcomes for many reasons
- Its considered to be soft
- It is considered the way out for a weakling
- It often goes unnoticed
- It does not produce immediate results
- It helps others ignore you
- It does not get results for you
- There are no rewards for being positive
- One can get trampled over
There is a saying that nice people end up last…because being nice helps others to ignore you. Examples are many. I am expressing some that I have experienced
- Everybody takes you for granted; work can be dumped on you knowing well that you will do it without expecting anything in return
- Subordinates, students can take advantage and give last priority to your work/assignments
- You can be made a scapegoat in a tricky situation, knowing full well that you will not retaliate
- You are expected to hang around when everyone is taking a break for some reason or the other
- You can be ignored when acknowledgements have to be presented for group work since you will not raise your voice
- You willingly step back if situation demands and others will take center stage
- One indirect message of displeasure from the bosses, you will break your back to rectify whatever needs to be rectified
- You work endlessly to repair damaged work so that your reputation/ institution’s reputation, your bosses reputation are not damaged
- On the personal front too, being positive has its pitfalls; you can become the proverbial punching bag receiving no sympathy/ empathy for all that goodness you are expressing
- By being positive all the time, you tend to camouflage your negative feelings; others seldom realize you need an outlet, express anger and hurt
- You take responsibility for everything in and around you trying to be positive and good, giving others a great chance to escape most of the responsibility
- Finally, nobody is going to thank you for being positive… they will simply take advantage of this trait in you
What to do, Stop being positive?
Here are some ideas
- It’s nice to be good, but kindly don’t overdo it, spreading it to all situations in your life
- Prioritize where you want to be completely positive and involved and where you need not be
- Learn to be assertive. Have you noticed something, positive people who practice it all the time are less often assertive or put their foot down on things
- Re evaluate your needs on positivity; do you want everyone to see you as a goody- good person all the time? Or would you not mind walking away from some of the situations/ responsibilities … let others think what they may
- Learn to express your negative emotions when it becomes necessary; it’s okay to express them
- Being kind, good and positive around certain negative persons is actually a bad idea since they can get away with the proverbial murder!
- So, it’s important to weigh ones situation carefully and get to be discriminating in selecting when to be absolutely good and when to exercise caution
- One must stop worrying about what impression we are creating … it is okay not to be seen as a positive person by some people and under certain circumstances.
This is not to discourage anybody from being positive…its only a perspective on what can go wrong by exercising positivity all the time and how one can view the matter from a different perspective.